I understand and agree that:
1. I desire to freely give services to Venice Pride, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization incorporated in the State of California (“Nonprofit”) with an office located at 55 N Venice Blvd, #502, Los Angeles, CA 90291-4142, because it provides venues in which I can use my talents to serve a community and culture which I value. I believe that by volunteering, my personal life experience will be enhanced, and I completely agree that volunteering with the Nonprofit is an opportunity that has real value to me. Really, I want to do this for free. I understand that I am not eligible to receive compensation of any kind in return for my volunteer services. I understand that under no circumstances will Nonprofit be under any obligation to me and I understand that I am not an employee of Nonprofit. I understand that Nonprofit’s employee benefit programs and Workers Compensation insurance do not apply to me.
2. Care. I will perform my volunteer services in the furtherance of the Nonprofit’s Mission Statement (“The Mission: Venice Pride celebrates the unity of West LA’s LGBTQ+ community, its friends and supporters. Through annual events and ongoing outreach, Venice Pride inspires, commemorates and supports diversity with the unique and eclectic spirit that embodies Venice Beach, California.”) and in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and rules. I will perform my volunteer services in a safe, conscientious, and courteous manner so as to cause no injury to myself or others. I will accept supervision and direction from the Nonprofit’s staff, directors, volunteer supervisors, and safety and medical volunteers. I understand that I volunteer at-will, and that either I or Nonprofit may end this volunteer relationship at any time without prior notice. I understand that I may be subject to immediate removal from providing volunteer services, without prejudice to further action by the Nonprofit, after the Activities conclude. I will not consume substances with mind- or judgment-altering potential, including but not limited to alcohol, narcotics, prescription medications, or controlled substances, that could or do impair my ability to perform my volunteer duties safely, conscientiously, and courteously.
3. I will immediately report any and all potential hazardous conditions and actual injuries of which I become aware in any way while performing my volunteer services to any safety or medical volunteer, volunteer supervisor, Nonprofit staff member or director, or any police or other civic officer nearest my vicinity. I will make such a report no matter what the extent or cause of the potential hazardous condition or actual injury.
4. I VOLUNTEER AND PARTICIPATE IN NONPROFIT ACTIVITIES AT MY OWN RISK. I UNDERSTAND THAT MANY OF THESE ACTIVITIES HAVE INHERENT RISKS AND DANGERS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO INJURY TO ME, MY PERSON OR PROPERTY, AND THAT AS A CONDITION OF BEING PERMITTED TO VOLUNTEER IN THE ACTIVITIES, I MUST AND HEREBY DO ASSUME AND ACCEPT ALL RISKS OF HARM, LOSS, OR INJURY TO ME, MY PERSON, OR PROPERTY ARISING FROM, RELATING TO OR CONNECTED WITH MY PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITIES OR MY PROVIDING VOLUNTEER SERVICES TO NONPROFIT IN ANY WAY.
5. I hereby agree to release and hold Nonprofit, the City and County of Los Angeles, and their officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, contractors, volunteers, managers, sponsors, funders, venues, attendees, public officials, successors and assigns (“Released Parties”) harmless from any and all demands, damages, losses, liabilities, causes of action, lawsuits, attorneys’ fees, and/or claims of every kind or nature, whether known or unknown, in law or equity, including employment claims and the acts or omissions of third parties such as medical providers, arising from or in any way connected with my volunteering services to Nonprofit. This waiver of liability and claims does NOT apply to any acts of gross negligence or intentional, willful, or wanton misconduct on the part of any Released Party. I intend and desire for this waiver and release to be interpreted as broadly as permitted under California law. This Waiver & Release shall continue in full force and effect event after the conclusion of the Activities or my volunteer service. I further agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Released Parties from any and all third party claims of any kind or nature arising from or related to my volunteer services, acts, or omissions for or on behalf of Nonprofit.
6. Confidentiality. While involved with Nonprofit, I may be exposed to valuable information which Nonprofit deems confidential. This may include, but is not limited to, information about Nonprofit’s methods, techniques, “know-how,” merchandising, licensing, vendors, sponsors, directors, personnel, clients, membership, marketing, contracts, formulas, patterns, compilations, intellectual property, and specifically includes all procedures and information related to producing the Activities (“Confidential Information”). I agree that I will not divulge, without Nonprofit’s written consent, the Confidential Information other than as reasonably necessary for Nonprofit’s business operations or to otherwise further Nonprofit’s Mission Statement unless: (a) the information is known to me prior to obtaining it from Nonprofit; (b) the information is, at the time of disclosure by me, then in the public domain; or (c) the information is obtained by me from a third party who did not receive it directly or indirectly from Nonprofit. I agree not to sell, deal in, or otherwise misappropriate the Confidential Information for any reason, including but not limited to adaptation, imitation, or production of similar or competing Activities, except as permitted or encouraged to do so by Nonprofit.
7. Recordings. I agree that Nonprofit may photograph, videotape or otherwise record me and my costumes or accessories while I am volunteering for Nonprofit (“Recordings”). I grant Nonprofit the rights to reproduce, display, distribute, perform, create derivative works from, license, sub-license and otherwise use such Recordings, in whole or in part, in any media and in any manner throughout the world in perpetuity, including but not limited to promotional materials for any purpose related to Nonprofit without any compensation to me whatsoever. I understand and agree that Nonprofit has no obligation to either create such Recordings or to use any Recordings created pursuant to the terms of this paragraph.
8. Intellectual Property. I understand and agree that all rights, title and interest, including copyright, in and to any materials created by me as a volunteer during the term of this agreement shall belong to Nonprofit upon creation and shall continue in the Nonprofit’s exclusive ownership upon termination of this agreement. Such materials shall be a work for hire within the meaning of the Copyright Act of 1976, as amended. If and to the extent that any portion of the materials created by me pursuant to this agreement are determined not to be a work for hire, I assign to Nonprofit all rights, title and interest in such portion of the materials, including all related copyrights and other proprietary rights. I agree that the provisions of this paragraph shall be effective unless otherwise agreed to in writing. I agree to cooperate with Nonprofit and to execute any document reasonably necessary to give these provisions full force and effect, even if this agreement has been terminated.
9. General Terms. No waiver or amendment of any provision of this Volunteer Agreement will be effective unless in writing. This Agreement shall be deemed to have been executed and delivered within the State of California, and it shall be construed, interpreted, governed, and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without regard to the State of California’s conflict of law principles. The language in all parts of this Volunteer Agreement shall be construed as a whole in accordance with its fair meaning, not for or against any party, and without regard to any statutes which provide for the language of an agreement to be construed against the drafter. If any provision herein is determined to be unenforceable, that provision shall be severed, and all other provisions shall remain in effect. I consent to the jurisdiction of any federal or state court within the City and County of Los Angeles, California. This Volunteer Agreement shall bind and inure to the benefit of the undersigned, Nonprofit, and their respective heirs, fiduciaries, successors and assigns. I warrant that I have not relied upon any promise, representation or warranty, other than as provided herein, in signing this Volunteer Agreement. Faxed or scanned signatures shall be construed to be as valid as originals.
10. I indicate my understanding and acceptance of this Volunteer Agreement by checking the box on the Volunteer Sign-Up webpage next to the statement, “I have read and agree to the Venice Pride Volunteer Agreement.” I understand by checking the box I am affixing my electronic signature to this Volunteer Agreement.
11. I SIGN THIS FORM VOLUNTARILY, OF MY OWN FREE WILL AND FREE OF PRESSURE, DURESS, OR COERCION. I HAVE READ THIS ENTIRE FORM CAREFULLY. I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY SIGNING THIS VOLUNTEER AGREEMENT, I HAVE GIVEN UP CONSIDERABLE LEGAL RIGHTS. MY SIGNATURE IS PROOF OF MY INTENTION TO EXECUTE A COMPLETE AND UNCONDITIONAL WAIVER & RELEASE OF NONPROFIT OF ALL LIABILITY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW AS SET FORTH HEREIN. I AM OVER 18 YEARS OLD AND I AM MENTALLY COMPETENT TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT.
Updated: May 29, 2017